Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Phoneless conversations

These days, you've got to be grateful when you have a fully phone-free conversation: resisting the urge to check email, calendars, to do "research."

I recently participated in a full 2 hour conversation on a very intense topic and a participant said the beat part of it was the absence of mobile devices.

How do you deal with the pop-up phenomenon. Explicitly I think. That's what I get at home, and maybe because I'm guilt-addicted... But it feels right. It's annoying and offensive. An addictive part of me I expect friends and family to call out.

And if it needs a diplomatic treatment- I've seen humor go a long way. Ah hum.. I'm over here... Straight ahead.

What's the antidote to this negative phenomenon? A lot of people are looking for that. On the Jewish circuit, it's Shabbat. On the environmental one, Nature. Culinary, Cooking (but aren't all the best recipes online!?) or maybe enjoying a good meal together. On the travel circuit, Cuba?!

And what's the opposite of the phone- free conversation? The eye-contact-blocking iPad meal. Check out this picture. I was actually blown away...

 


No comments:

Post a Comment