Thursday, March 20, 2014

Water

In my house, it's warm and plentiful, coming from a big showerhead in a strong, steady stream.

Running hot water is very easy to take for granted. Today I felt chilly, and took note for a moment.

I thought about whether the majority of people in the world enjoy warm running water on demand.

Certainly not.

I thought about whether everyone on the North American continent did - probably.

How about in Bosnia, in the small towns outside Sarajevo -- maybe?

In rural China -- mostly no? Actually I have no idea.

In rural Africa -- definitely no.

I realize in spite of being reasonably well traveled, marginally smart, and interested in global affairs, I honestly have no idea about these answers. I'm making it up.

It's amazing to have no idea about the conditions under which most people live, their access to water - such a fundamental part of life.

Seeing that water running without end seemed quite extraordinary, an amazing feat of civilization, infrastructure, recycling, nature, sewage control, continual planning, filtering, engineering. All the people involved, all the pipes, all the pressure, all the drains.

Gotta enjoy that shower a little more.


No comments:

Post a Comment